New Members: Read this to activate your account!

Start here if you're new, and check in regularly for news.
Jessie
Site Admin

New Members: Read this to activate your account!

Post by Jessie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Hello and welcome, new members!

Because we have a problem with spammers creating accounts here, I've set the account so that I (or a moderator, but right now we don't have any moderators) must activate all accounts manually.

I get notifications of new accounts, but the trick is picking out the spammers from potential real people who want to post. In this respect, I make a judgment call. For instance, is the username a simple one -- the person's real name (suggesting they read my guidance to use a real name as their registration)? Does the email registered with the account match the person's user name? (Spammers often use what are clearly garbage email addresses.)

With that in mind, if you want to make sure your account doesn't get deleted as a possible spammer, please email editor at thirdfactor dot org and let me know that you would like your account activated! I know not everyone will see this message before registering so I'll still try to sort out any good ones, but it'll help a lot if you can email. (Especially if you're posting from an IP out of Ukraine or Belarus, where a lot of spam is coming from lately and which I'm treating as a red flag.)

Sorry about the trouble, and I'm looking forward to chatting with you.