unreferenced assumptions

Threads for discussing Third Factor articles, in place of comments on the article pages. Join the conversation here!
btillier

unreferenced assumptions

Post by btillier » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:13 pm

I am not going to go through this new issue point by point. When we see references to what Dabrowski said I think it's important that they be accurate and actually reflect what he published. Case in point — "Dabrowski referred to OE as “a tragic gift” to reflect the reality of life with intensity as a difficult and often painful one." not quite. Dabrowski said overexcitabilities were a tragic gift for two reasons. First, that the society we live in is not equipped to understand or appreciate overexcitabilities and this makes it tragic for the person who experiences them. they are not the norm and therefore those who experience them are easily misunderstood and often live with a feeling of isolation and alienation. Second, the overexcitabilities intensify both the highest and lowest experiences. The sunset is that much more spectacular but so is the other side of life — the lows of life are also intensified and this makes it a tragic element. This is all referenced in his publications. As well, Dabrowski endorsed Unamuno's view of the tragic sense of life. This is a complicated phenomenological experience of life that I won't go into here but is tangential to understanding Dabrowski's use of the term tragic. Let's do keep it accurate. :)