Is TPD elitist?

General discussion of Dabrowski's theory, including concepts, experiences, and everything otherwise related. From beginners to professionals and academics, you're welcome here!
Jessie
Site Admin

Is TPD elitist?

Post by Jessie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:44 am

I've had this criticism raised to me a few times, and heard it obliquely elsewhere.

Is the theory of positive disintegration elitist?

You can see how the idea of "developmental potential" and the levels in particular might suggest to some that there is an "elect" of sorts here. And indeed, I've encountered people who seem to be using the theory in that way.

I don't think that's the right way to use it, or that it necessarily has to be. But I wondered if anyone here had thoughts. What do you think and why?

btillier

Re: Is TPD elitist?

Post by btillier » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 pm

I heard people level this accusation at Dabrowski and this was his answer (Paraphrased). I am describing what I observed in terms of development. just like IQ levels vary in the population I observed personality development to vary. Again, just like IQ, it appears that the basis of this variance is genetic. The theory is not elitist, nature is stratified into levels and this is what I have observed and described in my theory.

That was his basic answer.

Jessie
Site Admin

Re: Is TPD elitist?

Post by Jessie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks for adding that, Bill -- that's great context.

What do other people make of it? How do you receive it? If you have any specialized background, how does that influence your take? What threads are there to be teased out here?

(To be sure: I know this is a sensitive issue, but it's really okay to be honest and to see it differently than Dabrowski looked at it, or than anyone else here sees it. The conversation happens in between those points. :)