“Gifted” in Humble Language: A Japanese Lesson

Threads for discussing Third Factor articles, in place of comments on the article pages. Join the conversation here!
Chris

“Gifted” in Humble Language: A Japanese Lesson

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 am

What did you think of this article? There's no doubt that there are misconceptions about the word gifted, and Jessie's perspective on the G word in light of the types of language in Japanese is fascinating!

Jessie
Site Admin

Re: “Gifted” in Humble Language: A Japanese Lesson

Post by Jessie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm

My question is this: has any language student out there encountered anything in any language that might provide good food for thought on the G-word issue?

Greenfinger

Re: “Gifted” in Humble Language: A Japanese Lesson

Post by Greenfinger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:43 pm

This article made "gifted" a more relatable term for me, specifically abstract-intense. Having done very poorly in the public school system I hit a road block when I encountered the term gifted. My grades reflected a lack of interest, lack of drive and a lack of belonging. I can remember my kindergarten teacher being frustrated with me. I would go on to frustrate countless other teachers and my mother. I dropped out of high school as soon as I was old enough. I immediately proceeded to get my GED and soon enrolled in college where I received very high grades and got a degree. An unwillingness to conform follows me still today. I was, am, restless. I defined myself as hyper-active, now I understand I have OE traits.
Autopsychotherapy was not a new idea for me although I didn't recognize it as such until I found TPD. Once I found Dabrowski everything else fell into view. In my ongoing search for answers I read, Your Rainforest Mind. I quickly ran into a great deal of difficulty relating to the people she wrote about. High achievers, people with high IQ's, people that sought perfection in school. After reading her book I yet again felt very lonely, very isolated and confused about how I can relate to gifted traits yet not share their achievements in education.
However, as I continue to learn about what it means to be gifted, and learn that there are many, many forms of higher intelligence, my acceptance of this term becomes easier. I'll never be able to call myself "gifted" I can however accept, abstract-intense, high excitability, highly sensitive.
I find it ironic that what some would call a "gift" has at times been a deep, unrelenting chasm.