Overexcitability: Where It Came From, Where It's Going

Threads for discussing Third Factor articles, in place of comments on the article pages. Join the conversation here!
Jessie
Site Admin

Overexcitability: Where It Came From, Where It's Going

Post by Jessie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:28 pm

In Overexcitability: Where It Came From, Where It's Going, we showcase the extensive work that TF's executive editor Chris Wells did to put overexcitability in context, in light of some discussions about the topic that are going on in blogs and social media these days. We hope this article helps deepen our readers' understanding this topic and would love to know what you thought of it, or any further questions you have on the issue. We're thinking of doing an issue sooner rather than later that will focus on living with overexcitability, so we'll definitely keep your comments in mind as we pursue that.

Chris

Re: Overexcitability: Where It Came From, Where It's Going

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:24 am

This seems like an appropriate place to share this information related to the conceptual evolution of OE that I created during my lit review last year. The first two documents include descriptions and expressions of OE and the third link is to an Omeka exhibit highlighting some of the docs in the archive:

Kazimierz Dabrowski - http://christianewells.com/items/show/52

Michael M. Piechowski - http://christianewells.com/items/show/53

Exhibit: Conceptual Evolution of OE - http://christianewells.com/exhibits/show/oe

In the archive there are also collections of research papers:

OEQ Research - http://christianewells.com/items/browse?collection=11

OEQ-II Research - http://christianewells.com/items/browse?collection=12

OE Research - Not OEQ/OEQ-II - http://christianewells.com/items/browse?collection=15

Ibarcia

Post by Ibarcia » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Great article! It covers a lot of ground about the "history" of OE in a short extension.

It makes me think about the moment when I first read about OE and the Dabrowski's theories. It suddenly became so clear to me. Now I reflect on this issue from a simpler perspective. It comes a point in our adult lives when we have to "get ourselves together" in order to become independent functional beings. To most of the people this involves some kind of sacrifice of inner issues (ambitions, ideals, desires, moral values...) in order to fit in the available options on "how to live". They sacrifice part of their inner beings, with better or worse results (I believe they also end up paying the price for not living accordingly, even in a subconscious). But when your inner world is so rich and complex, when your inputs come through wider channels, then you build such a complex view of reality and then "getting yourself together" means getting a lot more together. Then, the task of creating your own way of living turns into a difficult, complex and subtle task. The option of sacrificing your own stuff in order to fit may be not an option as there is so much to sacrifice if you want to live by the available standards that your psyche could collapse and you don't have any direction to follow that resonates with your idea of reality.

This is why the theory of OE seems so evident to me now: it works also if you analyze it in this simple and common sense view. And of course it has all the theory supporting it that you compiled so well in your article.

Thank you for your initiative. I hope this can be a meeting point for people that live and testify the theory of Dr.Dabrowski.

PD: by the way I think you had a great idea deciding that the articles should be commented in a separated forum, in my opinion it is much better than adding a comment section below the articles. :)

Best!

Jessie
Site Admin

Post by Jessie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Thank you, Ibarcia! And I apologize for my delayed response...I'm still developing a habit with respect to this message forum (and everything else that goes with pulling Third Factor together).

But I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the article. And I think your idea about "getting yourself together" when you have OE is insightful. Even in very mundane aspects of daily life, I always find myself trying to balance many competing "ideals." Sometimes I do have to learn to let go of what "should" be -- but only in the service of dedicating my energy to things that REALLY matter, and not just everyday perfectionism that isn't that important when I consciously think about it. (That is, maybe it's okay if I don't exercise EVERY day. Or if I choose to send a quick, superficial response to an email when I don't have the time to write the thoughtful reply that I would otherwise write.)

Of course, when it comes to bigger issues, it's much harder to compromise, and takes a lot of deft weaving to bring this sort of perfectionism about the world together, or to bring it as close together as possible and then to know when to let go. And how to grow extra hands to hang on to the things that you simply refuse to let go of, despite not having been born with enough hands to hold everything!

If you know anyone else who might relate to this material, please invite them! Especially to the forums. I imagine that I will be the main person responding here at the moment, but eventually, maybe people will meet each other and it will become more of a true (if virtual) third place. That is the hope, at any rate. I'm so glad that you like the idea of the forum!

Ibarcia

Post by Ibarcia » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:37 am

Thank you, Jessie for your reply :)

First, I want to apologize for the quality of my writing in English. I am Spanish and I am conscious that I may fall into strange structures and expressions without knowing it when I try to express such complex ideas. But I try the best I can and hope that it is not too messy.

Again, I think this forum and the website where it belongs are great ideas to give support and expression to the people living the reality of Dabrowski's theories. I would like to point out an observation about your initiative and the public reception that I can see is having. Personally, I have overcome the most conflictive stage of the disintegration and reintegration process a few years ago. I am 33 now, I can clearly identify my 25 to 30 years as the most intense and conflictive. During those years I made crucial decisions and really hard changes in my life in order to break from the false integration I built up to that point and give room to the authentic and conscious integration that I started when that period ended. Well, the point is that during that time I would have been very thankful to find a space such as this that you are building with your website. I believe that the most beneficial help to the suffering of a person in a process of inner disintegration is the comprehension and human warmth of other people that are living or have lived the same process. The suffering is unavoidable to some extent, but if something can help overcome it is that: the feeling of not being alone and the hope of other who have reached a more peaceful and whole inner state. That is why I think this site is such a good idea and I would like to help to its growing.

I don't understand why it is not getting a better response from the public. For example, the announcement in the Yahoo Dabrowski's group had a terribly poor reply from the members, in my opinion. I don't understand why people don't join this place and start sharing and helping each others. So I want to help you to expand the reach of this site and forum. I am part of a Facebook group called "Dabrowski International", maybe you know it. I don't remember how I joined the group, I haven't used that much and I am not sure about its "quality" as an attractor of people really living the condition of OE and Positive Disintegration. Facebook is a very open and diffuse social network, but maybe it can help to get to people that are really interested in this website and forum. I can announce The Third Factor there and write a short descriptive message there that motivates people to visit and join this site. Just tell me if you think is a good idea and I will proceed.

Thank you very much and Best wishes!

Jessie
Site Admin

Post by Jessie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Your English is great, Ibarcia -- certainly much better than my Spanish!

And thank you very much for those kind words. You really hit on one of our main goals for the site here:
The suffering is unavoidable to some extent, but if something can help overcome it is that: the feeling of not being alone and the hope of other who have reached a more peaceful and whole inner state. That is why I think this site is such a good idea and I would like to help to its growing.
Yes! If people can find others who have gone through this process and successfully reintegrated, that could be a great help toward mitigating suffering and loneliness, even if it can't be eliminated.

I'm not terribly surprised at the slow response. There's just so much content coming at all of us these days! So we're working on developing good enough content that it will stand out and catch people's attention...eventually. :) The Yahoo group has also been pretty slow in general; I'm not sure why that is. I'm a member of the Facebook group, too, though it would be great if we could get an active group going here as well. (Not everyone feels comfortable with Facebook, among other reasons.)

If you do think this site, or a specific article, is worth sharing, it would be very kind of you to post it there! It can always start a new discussion, even if I've mentioned TF there once (only once!) before. :)